Heritage advice and matters

Moyne Shire has a rich cultural and heritage tradition which the community expects to be protected, recognised and promoted. As a result, council, in conjunction with Heritage Victoria, provides a free heritage advisory service for residents wishing to renovate or extend their property in a manner consistent with the era.

Heritage overlays exist in Port Fairy, Koroit, Mortlake and Macarthur. You can find out exactly where these overlays are located by searching Planning Maps Online.

Heritage Advisory Service

Council contracts a heritage advisor to visit the shire on a monthly basis. The heritage advisor provides expert advice with respect to renovations and external works to dwellings within heritage areas.

Owners/permit applicants are encouraged to discuss proposals with council's heritage advisor and council officers prior to lodgement of a planning application in a heritage overlay. To discuss your proposal, you need to make an appointment on (03) 5568 0555. Usually appointments need to be made one or two weeks in advance, as this service is heavily used by the public.

To find out whether your property is in a heritage area, please visit Planning Maps Online

For information concerning your responsibilities to protect Aboriginal cultural heritage contact Aboriginal Affairs Victoria.

Heritage Citations

Council has adopted heritage precinct citations which identify which buildings are significant, contributory or non-contributory to each heritage precinct.

The heritage precinct citations can be downloaded here:

Heritage Trees

Recent inclusions to the Victorian Heritage Register are the Norfolk Island Pine Avenues of Port Fairy, whereby the significant pines that line streets of Port Fairy are to be protected and enhanced due to their significant place within the character, community and history of Port Fairy.  All works and uses associated with the Norfolk Pine Avenues must ensure the protection of the trees and the aesthetic street values.

Some heritage overlays also protect trees located on private property. It is recommended that prior to commencing any lopping or removing trees within a heritage overlay , that you check whether a permit is required for these works.

Planning Permits in Heritage Overlays

Buildings and properties located in areas that have heritage overlays are subject to additional rules and regulations. If your building or property is located within a heritage overlay and you are planning to make alterations, build on it, erect a sign, change its use, demolish it or even just paint it (among other activities), you will probably need a planning permit.

All planning applications in heritage overlays must have regard to relevant heritage considerations which are detailed in the state and local planning policies of the Moyne planning scheme. The policy can be found at clause 11.01 and 15.03 of the Moyne planning scheme, and the heritage overlay provisions at clause 43.01. Planning applications must also have regard to the heritage citation for the heritage place or precinct, and any relevant incorporated document to the Moyne planning scheme, such as design guidelines.