Business premises registrations

If you are planning to conduct a food, hairdressing, beauty treatment, electrolysis, ear and body piercing, colonic irrigation, tattooing or prescribed accommodation business you are required to be registered under either the Food Act 1984 or Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

These steps will help you become registered. 

All application and transfer forms are available on this page

Step One    

  • Discuss your plans and ideas with Moyne Shire's Environmental Health Unit.
  • Submit your plans.

Step Two

  • Approval of your plans.
  • Work can commence.

Step Three

  • Initial inspection of the premises by Environmental Health Officer.

Step Four

  • Work completed.
  • Final inspection of the premises by Environmental Health Officer.
  • Obtain registration forms.

Step Five

  • Register business with Environmental Health Unit.
  • Business can be opened – unless otherwise stated.

Before signing a contract to rent, lease or purchase a premises, and in order to protect your interests and investment, it is highly recommended you contact all authorities concerned including the following Council departments:

  • Environmental health services   Food and Health Act requirements, specifications and transfers   (03) 5568 0555     
  • Planning   Land use permits   (03) 5568 0555     
  • Building   Building alterations and construction permits   (03) 5568 0555     
  • Waste management   Refuse collection   (03) 5568 0555
Prescribed accommodation registrations

It is a requirement of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 that all prescribed accommodation is registered with Council. Moyne Shire Council Environmental Health Unit is responsible for ensuring that standards stipulated in “Section 71 Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and Regulation 15 Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009" are met.

The Environmental Health Unit inspects all prescribed premises. The number of inspections that are conducted each year is dependent on the type of accommodation and the history of the accommodation. The standards of practice for prescribed accommodation can be accessed via the link below or by contacting the Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5568 0555.

Forms are available on this page

Hairdressing, ear piercing and beauty therapies registrations

It is a requirement of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 that all hairdressing, ear piercing and beauty therapy premises are registered with Council. As part of the registration process, inspections are conducted and proprietors are kept informed of any change to the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 that may affect their business and operations.

The Department of Health has published health guidelines for personal care & body art industries. These guidelines can be viewed by visiting the Department of Health website by clicking here .

Forms are available on this page

Food premises registrations

It is a requirement of the Food Act 1984 that all business owners (and community groups) that provide food and/or beverages are registered with or have given notification to Council.
Food premises are registered according to a class system. There are four classes of food premises – class 1, class 2, class 3 and class 4. This system means that regulatory requirements are better matched to the level of food safety risk associated with the food handling activities at different types of premises.

  1. Class 1 has the highest and class 4 the lowest level of legal requirements. In summary, the new classes are:
  2. Class 1 – hospitals, child care centres and aged care services which serve high risk food.
  3. Class 2 – other premises that handle high risk unpackaged food.
  4. Class 3 – premises that handle unpackaged low risk food or high risk pre-packaged food, and warehouses and distributors.
  5. Class 4 – premises that provide food deemed as low risk including simple sausage sizzles, shelf-stable pre-packed food and packaged alcohol. For a full list of class 4 activities go to the Food Safety website link at the bottom of this page.

Premises that are Class 1, 2 or 3 are required to be registered with Council, the application to register a food premises can be downloaded from a link at the bottom of this page. Class 4 premises are required to notify Council of their activity.

Forms are available on this page

Temporary food premises 

If you are planning to operate a temporary food premises such as a community barbecue or catering for a public function, you need to apply for a temporary food permit via the "Streatrader" website introduced by the Department of Health and the Municipal Association of Victoria. Businesses are no longer required to register with Moyne Shire.

Streatrader is for:

  • food businesses and community groups that sell food from a temporary site, such as a stall, van, trailer, community hall or vending machine
  • private water carters that transport and sell water for drinking.

Visit the Streatrader website for more information


Over the past few years, a number of new laws controlling tobacco have been passed in Victoria. As a result, residents can now enjoy a smoke-free environment whilst eating out, tobacco advertisements and promotions have been limited, shopping centres are now smoke-free and smoking in gaming venues and licensed premises is restricted. These laws have been put in place to help keep the Victorian community free from tobacco-related illness.

Moyne Shire Council is responsible for ensuring that all locations within the municipal boundaries comply with the laws.