Property valuations

We revalue your property every year, as the value determines your property rates.

What if I don't agree with my valuation?

Objections must be lodged within two months of the issue date of the valuation rate and charge notice on the following grounds:

  • The value is too high or low
  • The interest in the land held by various people has not been correctly apportioned
  • The apportionment of the valuation is not correct
  • Land that should have been included in one valuation has been valued separately
  • Land that should have been valued separately has been included in one valuation
  • The person named in the notice of valuation, assessment notice or document is incorrect
  • The area, dimensions or description of the land, including the Australian Valuation Property Classification Code (AVPCC) allocated to the land, are not correctly stated.
  • Our valuer will organise an inspection of your property if one is necessary. You will receive a letter advising you of the outcome of the enquiry, but you will need to continue paying your rates until a decision is reached.

 If you would like to make an objection, complete the relevant valuation objection form assigned by property type:

Residential property objection form(PDF, 44KB)
Commercial/industrial property objection form(PDF, 48KB)
Rural property objection form(PDF, 43KB)
Non-rateable property AVPCC objection form(PDF, 48KB)
Then return to us in person, or via mail as per our contact us page.

What happens to my objection?

Before lodging a formal objection form, we will accept enquiries and try to resolve your valuation questions with the valuer.

If you choose to lodge a formal objection a valuer will discuss your objection with you and make a decision whether to allow it or not. You can appeal to VCAT or the Supreme Court if you are unhappy with the decision. Visit the VCAT website for more information about lodging an appeal.