Pets and Aanimals FAQ

Find answers for a range of frequently asked questions related to Pets and Animals.

How do I deal with a stray cat?

You can borrow a cat trap free of charge from Council. Please call our Local laws team on 1300 656 564 to arrange.  

If you catch a stray cat, please give it sufficient water and food, and call the Ranger during business hours on 1300 656 564  for pickup. The Ranger will only pick up trapped cats during working hours, and collect the trap. 

How do I report a barking dog?

You should first talk to the owner if a barking dog is causing you trouble. They can then try to resolve the problem first.

If the barking doesn’t stop, you can lodge a complaint with Council. You will be asked to log the barking for at least one week. An authorised officer will then speak to the owner of the dog. The officer will tell them how to stop the barking, or issue a notice to comply to the owner.

If the barking continues after this, you will need to keep a log for a further seven days. Then, the officer may issue an infringement notice on the owner.

How do I report a lost pet or animal?

Please check our Facebook page where we post when we find a lost animal.

Dogs and Cats that have been impounded by Moyne Shire Council are held at the Southern Grampians Shire pound in Hamilton.

Please contact Southern Grampians Shire pound on (03) 5673 0444, ask for the Local Laws Department and arrange a time with them to collect your animal. 

How do I report a wandering dog?

Please call the Council Ranger on 1300 656 564  to report a wandering dog.

What can I do about swooping birds?

All Victorian native wildlife is protected by law, and it is illegal to harass or harm native birds and other wildlife without authorisation.

Swooping birds may be a frightening or even a dangerous experience. However, not all birds swoop to protect their eggs and young during breeding season, so don't be concerned simply because there are magpies or other common swooping birds in the area. Native birds can swoop in urban and rural areas, in parks and gardens, along bike tracks and in school yards, or anywhere that birds are nesting. 

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning has tips for how to protect yourself from swooping birds:

1. Know your local swooping hotspots

Keep informed about parks, schoolyards and bike trails in your local area by reading your local newspapers or viewing Victoria’s ‘Magpie Map’ on

2. Avoid the area

The best way to protect yourself from a swooping bird is to avoid venturing into their territory.

3. Move quickly

If you must pass through the area – move calmly and quickly – do not run.

4. Cover your head

Wear a hat or carry a stick or umbrella above your head. Cyclists should wear a helmet, dismount and walk through the area.

5. Eyes at the back of your head

Birds may be less likely to swoop if they think you are watching them. Draw a pair of ‘eyes’ and attach to the back of hats and helmets.

6. Do not harass wildlife

Don’t interfere with or throw stones at birds. This gives them added reason to see humans as a threat and may increase swooping behaviour.

7. Do not destroy nests

This may prompt birds to rebuild their nests, prolonging the swooping behaviour.

8. Don’t feed swooping birds.

This may encourage swooping behaviour.

9. Travel in a group

If possible, try to travel in a group in areas where there are swooping birds.

10. Notify others

Put up warning signs for others who may not be aware that there are swooping birds in the area, or ask Council to do so.

You can also mark a bird-swooping area on Victoria’s Swooping Bird Map at

Victoria's Swooping Bird Map

Being aware of swooping areas can also help us to avoid venturing into the territories of these birds and take extra precautions while they are protecting their nests and young.

The  Victorian Swooping Bird Map shows locations where people were swooped, mainly during the annual spring breeding season.

What can I do about snakes?

You should never attempt to approach or handle a snake. All snakes should be considered venomous and highly dangerous.

Snakes are a protected by law in Australia and cannot be taken from the wild, kept without a licence or traded without a licence. 

Snakes are important in the food chain, they consume smaller animals such as mice. Snakes also provide food for other animals like birds and reptiles. For information about which snakes are found in Victoria, see Reptiles

Who should you call?

We are unable to assist with snake removal.

Please contact a licensed snake handler. You can find them through online directories such as the Yellow Pages or through search engines, or call Wildlife Victoria on (03) 8400 7300 who can help refer you to a licensed snake catcher.

Snakes around the home 

Snakes near your home are usually just passing through on its way to, or from food, water or shelter.

Some tips to reduce the chance of snakes staying around:

  • keep lawns and gardens maintained
  • remove piles of wood away from the house
  • ensure pet food and water bowls are left away from the home
  • enclose compost heaps
  • keep aviaries and chicken coops clean as these can attract mice

Snake bites

Most snake bites occur when people try to kill or capture them. 

All snake bites must be treated as potentially life-threatening. If you are bitten by a snake, call triple zero (000).

Visit snake bites for information on types of snake bites, snake identification and first aid recommendations.