The next local council elections will be held on Saturday 26 October 2024.

Moyne Shire Council's electoral structure has not changed for this election and remains an unsubdivided municipality, electing seven Councillors. 

Who can vote in the 2024 Victorian local council elections?

In a council election there are two types of enrolment:

  1. state-enrolled
  2. council-enrolled.

Eligibility for each type of voter is outlined below.

You can only vote once in each municipality, no matter how many properties you own or occupy.

You must enrol before 4pm on Friday 30 August 2024.

Voting is compulsory for everyone who is enrolled.

State-enrolled voters

You must enrol and vote if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • are an Australian citizen
  • have lived at your address for longer than one month.

For more information on how to enrol as a state-enrolled voter, visit the VEC website

Council-enrolled voters

Council-enrolled voters include ratepayers who are property owners, occupiers or corporations.

You can apply to become a council-enrolled voter with Moyne Shire if you are:

  • 18 years or older
  • a property owner, occupier or represent a corporation
  • not a state-enrolled voter within Moyne Shire.

The rules for council enrolled voters have changed ahead of the 2024 council elections. These changes are explained below.

Owner ratepayers

You can apply to enrol directly with Moyne Shire if you:

  • own property and pay rates in the council area
  • are 18 or over
  • are not a state-enrolled voter who lives in that council.

If you meet these criteria, you can contact Moyne Shire to apply to enrol.

Up to two ratepayers can apply to enrol for any one property.

Occupier ratepayers

You can apply to enrol directly with Moyne Shire if you:

  • pay rates for a property that you occupy but do not own
  • are 18 or older
  • are not a state-enrolled voter.


You can apply to enrol to vote on behalf of a corporation if you:

  • are a director or company secretary of a corporation that pays rates (either as an owner or an occupier) within Moyne Shire
  • have consented to being appointed as the corporation’s representative
  • are not already a state-enrolled voter or council-enrolled voter for the same council.

Resigning your enrolment.

If you don’t want to vote as a representative of that property further, you can apply to resign your enrolment.

Expiry of enrolment

Your enrolment expires before the next local government general election. If you want to continue to vote, you must apply to enrol again before the next local council general election. Moyne Shire will send you an invitation when it is time to renew your enrolment.

Enrolling to vote

Moyne Shire is working with the Victorian Electoral Commission to encourage eligible residents and property owners to enrol to vote. In May 2024, Council will be sending letters to residents and property owners who may be eligible to vote, but who may not yet be enrolled.