Football and netball lights coming to Port Fairy
Published on 08 February 2024
Works are about to commence on installation of new lighting at Port Fairy’s Gardens Oval.
The project has been developed by the Port Fairy Football Netball Club in partnership with Council.
Mayor, Cr Ian Smith said lighting at the netball courts had been removed because of safety concerns and the oval lighting did not allow for night games.
“The football netball club is incredibly important to the town, and the new lighting will bring the facilities up to a modern standard,” said Cr Smith.
“These new lights will mean the club will no longer need to hire generators and temporary lighting for weeknight training and will allow the club to host night matches,” he said.
“Work getting underway on Monday will include the removal of the remaining lighting towers, new foundations, electrical connections and installation of new lights and lighting towers.”
Cr Smith said works will commence Monday February 12 and (dependent on weather) be ready for the 2024 football and netball seasons, with works to cease over the March long weekend.
During construction there will be restricted access to work areas throughout the reserve and the public is asked to heed amended traffic and pedestrian access.
The total project cost of $740,500 has been funded by:
$360,000 - Moyne Shire allocation of Federal Government LRCI Round 4.
$250,000 - Sport and Recreation Victoria.
$130,500 - Port Fairy Football Netball Club