Business Facade Improvement Program
Business Facade Improvement program is now open
The program will assist Moyne businesses to improve their business facade that will improve the appeal of the local streetscape within the commercial and shopping areas of the Shire.
Council will competitively allocate funding to successful businesses on a matched funding basis up to $5,000. Total budget for the incentive is $30,000 and this will be allocated on a case-by-case basis subject to Council approval until the allocated budget has been spent or the scheme year has ended.
Council has allocated $30,000* grant funding for the 2023/24 program. Businesses can apply on a $1: $1 basis to complete improvements to their facades with the grant amount capped at $5,000 (incl. GST) per business.
As an example, for a project with a total cost of $10,000 (incl. GST:
- Business provides $5,000 (incl. GST)
- Council provides $5,000 (incl. GST)
Businesses can choose to contribute more than 50% of the total project cost, but will still only be eligible for a maximum of $5,000 (incl. GST) from Council.
If a business only wanted to complete minor works, they could apply for an amount under $5,000. An example of this would be for a project with a total cost of $2,000 (incl. GST)
- Business - $1,000 (incl. GST)
- Council - $1,000 (incl. GST)
*Council contribution is subject to the number of applicants and funding requested versus the total budget allocated to the program.
The work must improve the building and street face by doing more than maintenance. Facade storefront restoration works eligible for consideration include the following
- Repainting of building façade and windows;
- Installation/upgrade of the business signage;
- Renewal of under-awning lighting, streetscape lighting; or awning structure;
- Repairs or replacements of verandahs;
- Cleaning the existing façade and removal of cladding or redundant material; such as signage, air conditioning units or hoardings;
- Reinstatement of lost elements, or fabric to the façade of the building;
- Limited permanent interior improvements if these are visible from the exterior;
The program is open to any business located in a commercial/township area of the Shire that has street frontage, OR, any business located in the Shire with a permanent building façade that is readily visible from a transport zone 2 road (see map). Home based business or businesses with no street frontage are not eligible.
The applicant must be a Moyne based business or a property owner that leases to a Moyne based business.
Property owners with a vacant building in Moyne, that intend to lease to a Moyne-based business, are eligible to apply.
Businesses must be registered for an ABN. Property owners without an ABN must complete the ATO ‘Statement by a Supplier’ form as part of their application.
Preference is given to small businesses, which employ fewer than twenty Full Time Equivalent (FTE) staff members, however larger businesses are eligible to apply.
The proposed works cannot include structural works for a building listed in the heritage overlay.
Only works that improve the overall look of the business façade from the main thoroughfare will be considered. Interior works, or works to other areas of the building will not be considered unless they are clearly visible from a public area with significant passing traffic.
Successful applicants from previous rounds of the Business Façade Grant are eligible to apply only if they have fully acquitted the grant process.
Council reserves the right to approve or refuse an application based on colour, material or method of execution as it considers appropriate.
For further information
Please contact Bethany Lewis, Economic Development Officer via email@example.com or by calling 1300 656 564.
1. July 2023: Applicants can discuss whether their proposed facade works are eligible by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1300 656 564. Applicants book and attend a planning advice meeting with the Planning Department here Bookings - Bethany Lewis - Outlook (office.com), to determine is a planning permit is required for the façade works, what is needed and if any heritage considerations are to be included. Before your meeting, please view the VicSmart Planning Permit information here: VicSmart Planning Permit Information (moyne.vic.gov.au). This is also a good time to start obtaining two quotes for the façade works, ideally from local contractors.
Please Note: you do not need to submit a planning permit application prior to your BFI grant application. If all the required documents are attached to your grant application a planning permit decision can be made at the time of the grant assessment.
2. 24 July 2023: Applications Open. Applicants complete the online application form below with attached ‘before photos’, owner’s permission, quotes, and plans for the façade works.
3. 22 September 2023: Applications Close. Applications will not be considered after this date.
4. October 2023: An internal panel enters all applications into an assessment matrix and provides a report with recommendations to Council.
5. October/November 2023: Councillors review the report, all applications, and recommendations before making the final decision as to which application will be funded.
6. November 2023: All applicants are notified as to whether they have been successful or not. Successful applicants must complete and grant paperwork including the signed Grant Agreement. Once the grant agreement is signed and returned, the applicant can start the façade works. Works cannot begin before this date; the guidelines specify that works will not be funded retrospectively.
7. Before 31 May 2024: Before this date successful applicants must provide photos of the finished works, copies of the invoices for the works and an invoice address to Council for the agreed grant amount.
8. Before 30 June 2024: All grant recipients with completed works that provided the required documentation with receive grant funds from Council before this date.
Property owners or business operators considering making an application must discuss their potential project with Council through its Business Support Service, to ensure any potential issues are managed early and all planning requirements can be met. Applicants are also encouraged to seek professional advice from suitably qualified local architects or designers to assist with the development of the proposed improvements.
Apply for the Business Facade Improvement Program here.