Fire Prevention

Fire prevention is YOUR responsibility. With the ever increasing pressure on CFA volunteers and the ever decreasing numbers of volunteers available, you must be aware that you cannot rely on a fire truck to protect your property in a bushfire emergency.

Prepare an emergency plan for your family and property. In a fire emergency, your house is the safest place to be PROVIDED YOU HAVE DONE YOUR PREPARATION. If you plan to leave in a fire emergency, do so as soon as you know there is a fire in the area.

Contact your local CFA office for information on how to prepare your Fire Safety Plan.

Permit to Burn

Any person wishing to light a fire in areas outside of Council's "Designated Areas" during the proclaimed fire season must apply to Council's Municipal Fire Prevention Officer for a permit to burn. The appropriate application form is available from your local Brigade Captain or here(PDF, 230KB). Conditions for burning can be viewed in this document.(PDF, 22KB) Incinerator and open air fires are banned within the "Designated Areas" at any time.

Fire Prevention Notices

Inspections undertaken by Moyne Shire officers may find that fuel hazards on your property require attention.

If a fire hazard has been detected on individual properties, a Fire Prevention Notice will be issued to the property owner to reduce the fire risk associated with their property.

The issuing of Fire Prevention Notices ensures property owners carry out the necessary fire prevention measures to reduce the risk of fire threatening both themselves and their community.

A list of contractors available to help clear properties of fire hazards is available here(PDF, 169KB)

If you receive a Fire Prevention Notice it is important that you read the notice carefully and if you do not understand the notice or wish to discuss:

  • extra time to meet the notice requirements
  • intention of keeping livestock on the property
  • intention of cutting hay,
    you must contact the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer on (03) 5568 0555 prior to the nominated completion date.

It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure the works described on the notice is undertaken prior to the nominated completion date, and that the property is maintained in accordance with the notice for the duration of the Fire Danger Period.

If you do not carry out the works required by the Fire Prevention Notice, the Moyne Shire will arrange contractors to carry out the works listed on the notice at the property owner’s expense. Depending upon specific circumstances an infringement (fine) may also be issued.

Infringement Notices

Infringement Notices may be issued by Local Laws Officers for a range of offences including breaches Moyne Shire Council Local Laws and offences under the Country Fire Authority Act.

Persons who receive an infringement may:

  • Pay the infringement;
  • Have the matter referred directly to Court for consideration. This must be requested by contacting Council in writing; or
  • Refer the matter to the Moyne Shire Council Review Panel if there are extenuating circumstances surrounding the issuing of the infringement. (link to Infringement Review Application Form below)

Applications for an infringement review must be in writing and only one review request per offence is allowed. You are required to provide a copy of your original infringement notice with your application documentation.