Amendment C60 to the Moyne Planning Scheme has approved by the Minister for Planning and came into operation on 27 October, 2016.
The land affected by the Amendment is on the western edge of the Port Fairy township. The area is bounded by the Princes Highway to the north, Southern Ocean to the south, rural properties to the west and residential zoned areas of Port Fairy to the east.
Amendment C60 implements the recommendations of the Port Fairy West Structure Plan September 2014 and the Port Fairy Local Coastal Hazard Assessment 2013, by rezoning land, inserting a new local planning policy, applying new overlays and amending existing overlays.
The Structure Plan provides a framework to guide land use and development within the area, which:
- protects the low density and rural living character, and coastal landscape of the area;
- identifies a clear settlement boundary;
- avoids further intensification of tourism and commercial development;
- facilitates better road and footpath connections from east to west;
- avoids additional development in areas at risk of coastal inundation and erosion; and
- resolves issues caused by land being within two zones.
In particular, the Amendment:
- rezones land areas in Port Fairy West from Farming Zone and Low Density Residential Zone to Rural Living Zone (Schedule 1);
- includes a new local planning policy and a settlement boundary for Port Fairy West at Clause 21.09-5 of the Planning Scheme;
- applies the Land Subject to Inundation Overlay - Schedule 3 to areas subject to inundation and Erosion Management Overlay - Schedule 1 to areas subject to coastal erosion; and
- amends the existing Schedules 14 and 20 to the Design and Development Overlay.
A copy of the Amendment can be inspected, free of charge, at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website at Moyne C060 and free of charge, during office hours, at the offices of the Moyne Shire Council, Princes Street, Port Fairy.