Stay safe in a power outage
Published on 06 February 2017
As the summer heat continues, the Victorian Government’s summer campaign, Your Guide to Power Outages, is seeking to help Victorians keep safe during a power outage in bushfires and extreme weather conditions.
While Victoria has very reliable electricity supply, power outages can happen – particularly during heatwaves, bushfires and grassfires.
A guide has been produced Your Guide to Power Outages with a call to action: It only takes a few simple things to prepare.
Some simple tips include having access to:
- A torch or battery-operated light
- A phone that doesn’t rely on electricity (such as a fully-charged mobile phone)
- A battery powered radio for news and updates
- Fresh water (if you rely on an electric pump for water)
- The faults and emergencies contact number from your latest bill.
- Summer is also a time to check on elderly or vulnerable relatives and neighbours
There’s a lot of useful advice online.
Visit delwp.vic.gov.au/poweroutages for more information on how to get prepared, or call the Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
Hard copies of the guide are also available at Council offices.